An invitation

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Sat Oct 30 00:39:39 CEST 2004

Colleagues:

This message is to notify you of, and invite you to participate in, a
virtual and
physical conference on Internet governance that will be held at
Syracuse University
Nov. 12. You can see the program here:
http://dcc.syr.edu/nov12symposium.pdf

The entire conference will go from 13:00 - 18:00 EST (18:00 - 23:00
UTC)
We will be focusing on virtual participation from 15:30 - 17:00 EST
(20:30 -
22:00 UTC). My colleague Derrick Cogburn will be sending an invitation

with links to the software platform needed to participate (which should
be
compatible with MS-Windows, Apple OS, and Linux).

Markus Kummer will discuss the composition of the WGIG and its
mandate,
Sarbuland Khan of UN ICT TF will discuss the significance of IG for
developing
countries; Lisa Jordan of the Ford Foundation's Global Governance
division
will compare the role of civil society in Internet governance processes
with
other areas such as environment and human rights and develop practical
advice
based on that comparison. Bill McIver of CPSR and WSIS-CS and Frannie
Wellings of EPIC will provide an advocate's perspective.

During the virtual conference, we will not only use interactive
technologies
but reflect on their significance for global governance. That
discussion will be
framed around the following questions: How can online interaction best
be
incorporated into global governance processes? Granted that face to
face
meetings will always be important and required, to what extent can
online synchronous meetings and other online collaborative tools
supplement
them and broaden participation?

Looking forward to your participation,

Best regards