candidate info Iliya Nickelt (VOV)

Iliya Nickelt iliya at GMX.DE
Tue Nov 23 15:44:29 CET 2004

On 22 Nov 2004 at 23:10, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Candidates: please indicate what your priorities are, your
background,
> your positions on the issues, etc.

There are new members, also it helps to define some priorities every
now and then, so here's my statement as European EC candidate. (Doing
this while an election is going on is not so democratic, but we do not
have a close race between competitive candidates)

The EC is primarily an administrative body, so I will concentrate on
that.
We need to have some discussion about our charter review and changes
and then vote on it. The annual report lies ahead, which means we (EC)
have to push all those that received grants from NCUC to write a few
paragraphs about what they achieved, ask the "policy group" (mostly
identical to the grantees) to describe our more general strategy and
compile that. I want a budget overview and some discussion about that,
especially about fees that need to be invoiced (and how). Our Outreach-
Brochure is not coming along. To make things easier, I would like to
see a few server additions: An easy access mailing list, a few
political topics on the web page, and IRC client, and if all that's
done, a groupware (don't know if that's helpful, but I'd like to try).
Ton's of work, which brings up another issue: We need to find a
secretary-treasurer. (After writing about all that's left to do, I
guess the number of potential secretaries dropped to zero). Most of
these topics have been raised before, and I must confess that I have
not done enough work on them, but at least we need to keep the topics
in mind. Not only that Icann slowed down somewhat (or so I think), but
the activity of NCUC has also decreased. We need to raise the mood.

About me: I'm an astrophysicist and currently mainly busy with raising
my two children. I'm 33 and I live in Berlin, Germany. I know a few
things about networks, forced myself to learn some of the legal and
political issues as well and have been active for / on Icann since
early 2000 and the "Membership implementation task force". I do have
some Icann-specific political positions, too, but won't bother you with
that today.

> But the ballot page doesn't indicate whether it is possible to update
> votes after casting them, as has been possible in the past.  Does
> anyone know if that is possible?

If you read your ballot to the end, it says:
> Therefore, it is permissible to vote more than once; the basic rule
> is that the last vote submitted is the one that will be counted.

I hope I answered your questions,
        --iliya