Web Conferencing software test Re: [governance] Test of onlinesymposium software

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 4 16:52:34 CET 2004

This very useful analysis is what we need more of. Thanks.

--MM

>>> "Dr. Francis MUGUET" <muguet at ensta.fr> 11/4/2004 3:32:41 AM >>>

I don't know if there a free software alternative
with similar features as Elluminate or Marratech
available on a wide variety of platforms  ?
There is IVS
http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/ivs.html
but it does not work on Windows machines...
it seems that there are other projects I
did not have to explore.

If you know some other alternatives,
please post it.

It is obvious that Elluminate is not
"illuminated" enough to be as friendly
to GNU/Linux users as Marratech
( http://www.marratech.com/ ) that was
used in a previous trial by Dr. Derrick Cogburn.

You need to have installed the Java Runtine Env JRE
check in your distro ( much prefered ) or
download it
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

check if the the variable JAVA_HOME is defined
echo $JAVA_HOME

The download page for JavaWebStart is
http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/download.jsp

I installed it and it works apparently at
  http://www.elluminate.com/support
I was able to log and test.
The download time is quite important.
I tested the audio but not yet the microphone.

First, misguided by the info on Elluminate page,
I tried to install OpenJNLP
http://openjnlp.nanode.org/download.html
The install is more for nerds.
It crashed on Fedora Core 2
It was possible to launch OpenJNLP on Mandrake 9.2,
but I did not test it with my browser yet,
may be later. ( must change the mailcap )

Best regards

Francis

> Enrique , Hi.
>
> I asked Elluminate support, their reply is copied below. I don't have a
> way to personally check if it works, but I hear that it does. I hope
> Linux users get the same level of functionality as other platforms.
>
> Derrick's been trying to give us some tools to work with for a while, we
> were critical about his first suggestion (Windows only... it worked fine
> for Windows and his team had put a lot of effort into the thing) so it's
> good he's found something that hopefully works for most platforms.
> Appreciate Derrick's perseverance in trying to give us these tools.
>
> Adam

>> Subject: RE: using elluminate with linux/*BSD?
>> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:25:05 -0700
>> From: "Support" <support at elluminate.com>
>> To: "Adam Peake" <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
>>
>> Hello Adam,
>>
>> Elluminate does not specifically support Linux installations of the
>> client software. However, it should be possible for Linux users to
>> access a session providing Java Web Start by Sun Microsystems can be
>> installed.
>>
>> The installer for Java Web Start on Linux is available at the following
>> Web page. Follow Sun's directions for installation.
>>
>> http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
>>
>> Once Java Web Start is installed, you should be able to launch an
>> Elluminate Live! session by clicking on a link to a session, such as the
>> one provided below to our configuration session. Clicking on a link
>> downloads a small JNLP file to you, so your Linux Web browser would have
>> to be configured to launch Java Web Start (javaws) in response to
>> receiving one of these files.
>>
>> https://www.elluminate.com/mtg.jnlp?password=686042519
>>
>> I hope this helps. Let me know if I clarify any of the information I
>> have provided to you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve Perkins, B.Sc.
>> Eluminate Services
>> p 403.204.7896.42
>> e stevep at elluminate.com
>> www.elluminate.com/support

Francis F. MUGUET KNIS/ENSTA

Pôle de Développement pour l'Information Scientifique
"Réseaux de la Connaissance et Société de l'Information"
Scientific Information Development Laboratory
"Knowledge Networks & Information Society" (KNIS)

ENSTA
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
mirror            http://www.muguet.org

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
Associate Publisher
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web