UDRP paper by PIR Advisory Committee

t byfield tbyfield at PANIX.COM
Mon Mar 8 06:34:39 CET 2004

chun at PEACENET.OR.KR (Mon 03/08/04 at 02:12 PM +0900):

> Could you explain what has been talked on this concern in NCUC meeting of
> Rome?
>
> Is this approach really wise? Why freedom of speech should be particularly
> required for .org TLD? On the contrary, why freedom of speech is less
> important to other TLDs like .com or .net? For me, so far as .org remains
> to be unsponsored TLD, such a value should to be applied to all
> unsponsored TLDs. To shrink the applied scope of freedom of speech to .org
> seems to be very defeatistic strategy.

i'm not sure it makes sense to interpret milton's support for free
speech concerns in the context of .org as suggesting that he's less
concerned about them in other so-called sponsored TLDs. expecially
because, if i understand rightly, milton was (a) summarizing some-
one else's comments, and (b) doing so in a brief that's limited to
.org. anyway, it definitely doesn't make sense to fault milton for
failing to support free-speech issues elsewhere; he has done so for
years.

cheers,