Comments at the WSIS public Forum

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Mar 7 03:45:45 CET 2004

This is the brief Statement of the Noncommercial Users Constituency for the ICANN WSIS Forum, March 3, 2004.

I am Dr. Milton Mueller, Chair of the Noncommercial Users Constituency.
[we were asked to introduce ourselves]

NCUC sees WSIS as a way of mobilizing additional civil society participants in international communication and information policy issues. We favor this.

In regards to ability of CSOs to participate in policy making processes, ICANN compares favorably to the UN Summit and to most international organizations. We appreciate this, and we publicize it.

NCUC welcomes the creation of the UN Working Group on Internet governance, for two reasons:

1. It increases the accountability of ICANN
2. It is necessary to broaden discussion of IG issues

1. ICANN will figure prominently in the UN WG discussions. It is a way of integrating ICANN-IG into the broader international system. Specifically, the (real or apparent) role of US interests and USG in ICANN is a point of contention, and it was inevitable that UN system and governments would take this on. WG will have a dialogue about that. Real potential to do good.

2. IG debate is not so "confused." What's confused is the patchwork quilt of governance arrangements that exist now. We have stated since the beginning that ICANN makes public policy regarding specific aspects of the Internet. So do a number of other international organizations. The UN WG on IG can develop consensus on basic principles regarding what the Internet is and how it can be treated in an international regime. Some potential for harm, some potential for good.

NCUC members will be key participants in the WG process, both as constituency representatives and in their capacity as experts in various aspects of policy.