Proposed statement on Whois TF 1

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 16 11:54:13 CET 2004

Hi All, I have reviewed Milton's draft comments for WHOIS Task Force 2 and I
have the following concerns and recommendations.

1)  I don't see Task Force 1 (TF1) waiting for Task Force 2 (TF2).  All the
task forces are under tons of pressure to report back and issue their final
reports on/before ICANN's July meeting.  I don't believe there will be support
for "slowing down the train."

2) Task Force 2 is *unlikely to examine primary purpose* of the WHOIS
database.  Unfortunately, it was not until George Papapavlou's speech in Rome to NCUC
and Registrars that we heard this call so loud and so immediate.  The
questionnaires of TF2 (4 in all) are not designed to solicit input on primary
purpose.   They are designed to look at 1) uses (all forms of secondary uses), 2)
concerns (for the first time, we get to write our concerns for the misuse and
abuse of the data), and 3) privacy laws (are their national/regional laws that
protect WHOIS-type data).

If TF2, with its current information, moves forward to decide primary
purpose, we will get it wrong.

===>  Therefore, my recommendation for a NCUC WHOIS strategy (for the present
round of Constituency statements is):

A) Assume Primary Purpose is Original Purpose.  EPIC has collected
information regarding the original technical purpose of WHOIS.  If any NCUC member has
additional information about "the old days," please let us know.  But let's put
forward loudly and clearly in all our Statements that the Original Purpose of
this collection is technical.

B)  Let's throw out the startling idea that the only way to limit marketing
uses to WHOIS in Port 43 may be to shut down Port 43 and create access to a
similar type of online utility that is available only to the technical community
(pursuant to contractual terms/limits/etc) so that registrars can use this
data for transfers, etc.

C) Let's nicely urge TF1 to honor the commitment its chair made at the Rome
meeting:  that TF1 will take seriously its role of limiting marketing uses, and
will absolutely not differentiate among different types of non-marketing uses
(and specifically will not issue language elevating the use of intellectual
property and law enforcement -- let's spell it out -- above other forms of
non-marketing uses (e.g. research, personal access, etc).

D)  Let's wake up governments and urge them to assist in this discussion as
it rises to the level of the ICANN Board.

Kathy
(NCUC Rep on TF2)

<<