A new TLD for mobile devices?

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Fri Mar 12 20:11:39 CET 2004

Compas,

Especially in cases like this, leaving decisions to (or expecting decisions
from) the "Internet community", even in an ideal situation in which you
could get fair and effectively representative opinion, leaves out the rest
of public opinion -- this has a lot of significance in the case of ccTLDs
in countries of minimal Internet presence.

Is the "Internet community" in the countries really taking responsibility
for decisions like selling to outsiders their country domain identities,
for instance? If so (which I do not believe in 99% of the cases of
converting ccTLDs into speculative merchandise), are these prepared to say
they are deciding in the name of their countries' public opinion? In my
country of 170 million people, the "Internet community" is just 8% of the
population, for example.

Interesting... the cellcos want .mo because of course they do not want
.mob... which sometimes, as a user of their services, I feel would better
represent their real line of business.

--c.a.

ps: great to see you in Rome (for the ones who have actually been there :))

At 11:36 12/03/04, you wrote:
>Right, I think .MO is the ccTLD for little Macau,
>former Portugese colony, now part of China, known as
>a gambling escape for Hong Kong people.

>Dear Horacio T. Cadiz,
>
>It depends on local internet community of .MO if your way of thinking is
>to to be applied. 8-)
>
>regards,

===
Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento e estratégia
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle 272 - sexto andar
22270-060 Rio de Janeiro Brasil
telefone +55-21-2527-5494
telefax +55-21-2527-5460
rits at rits.org.br