WHOIS Task Force 2 Reporting

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 1 10:28:27 CEST 2004

All:
After many months of work, WHOIS Task Force 2 has finally issued a lengthy
report on the WHOIS system, national privacy laws, and some proposed changes to
the WHOIS system.  I am pleased to say that the report spends considerable
time on the NCUC issues of:
- that WHOIS data often contains personal data of individuals/ sensitive data
of organization (e.g., human rights groups)
- WHOIS data is often misused/abused
-  National law and public policy throughout the world protect individuals
and even organizations from having to publish name/address/phone/email in public
directories.

The new idea introduced in the report is a change of the WHOIS system.  The
report proposes a "Tiered Access System" in which the public would have access
to almost no personal/sensitive data (perhaps only technical contact or
name/country of registrant), and then at a second tier (where we record the
requester and their reason) perhaps have some access to a bit more data to contact the
domain name holder (perhaps name/email or address) and a third tier where
registries and registrars still have access to all the data for technical
purposes (e.g., transfering domain names).

After consultation with other WHOIS TF members, here is the "vote" I entered
on this draft report:
===> "The Noncommercial Users' Constituency approves the preliminary TF2
report and supports its publication in full to the public for comment.  We note
the
following concerns and reservations regarding Section 3.5 and throughout the
report, to be recorded with our vote:"
===> "The Noncommercial Users' Constituency approves of the concept of a
Tiered
Access With Balance, in which the rights of the data subjects (domain name
holders) are clearly balanced with the rights of the data recipients (e.g.,
intellectual property owners).  In doing so, we submit that there must be a
clear
distinction of sensitive and non-sensitive data, that domain name holders
must
receive immediate notification when data is released (in most cases), and
that
the system must avoid any White List (unlimited access to certain parties
merely
because they are known users)."

Regards,
Kathy  (Kleiman -- WHOIS Task Force 2 member).