TODAY whois chat session 14:00 GMT at iliya.de/chat.html

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Fri Jun 11 16:41:15 CEST 2004

First a rant: I am fed up with updates under the windows (tm)
operating system. This trademarked operating system (which often
doesn't operate) takes too much of my time recently. And it hangs all
the time. Worms, virusses, I don't know what. I run a windows (tm)
machine BEHIND A FIREWALL. I do not use Outlook (tm) etc. I have no
idea what is ruining my life. I am guessing it is (tm). FreeBSD (no tm
or license or whatever, better than Stallman GPL) runs with no
problems for over 400 days without reboot. Go figure.

As for whois: We need a really bright idea. What I see now, is that we
will be wrapped up by the IP people and their assistents. We might get
some tiny victory (like no phone number) but this does not solve the
basic problems.

Idea: Put only an email address in whois. If no reply is received to
an email to this address, those who have a legitimate reason to
contact the registrant, will receive postal address.
Details to be determined. Like how long no reply to the email. How to
make sure this is the case, etc.

This would make life easy for those who want to remain private. As
long as you make sure you reply to someone who wants to contact you,
you are OK. The system would run over registrars (so as to make sure
that there are no misunderstandings: this way: Disney sends email to
address via registrar. Registrar notifies me. I have option to
acknowledge receipt. If I do, registrar will not disclose my postal
address. If I don't, it will. This can all be automated.)

What do you think? It needs more thinking and detailed rules etc.