[governance] civil society recommendations to UN Working Group

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 28 20:45:56 CEST 2004

Robin:
Thanks for raising this issue. Note that I am copying
the NCUC discuss list.

A group of NCUC members had an informal discussion
with Markus Kummer Tuesday evening, at which it
became clear that he is very interested in advice about
what *kind* of people to put onto the WGIG, and will
later welcome specific lists of names forwarded by
civil society groups.

I had discussions with several people, including Adam
Peake, about names and criteria.

I think it would be a good idea for NCUC as a whole to
develop a list of names we could support. The WSIS CS
Internet Governance caucus (which is copied on this message)
will probably also do so. I suspect there would be some
overlap, but in my opinion it is better to develop lists separately
and then reconcile them with the caucus - and the
ICANN ALAC  - as necessary.

What we need now are some ideas about a process, and
a schedule. Barring any objections, I'll propose some ideas
in a day or two - and anyone else is welcome to do so as well.

--MM

p.s. I do not publish any notes of our meeting with Kummer,
we promised we would speak freely and not

>>> Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> 07/27/04 02:44PM >>>
Hello,

Were there any further discussions in Kuala Lumpur last week (or
elsewhere) on selecting this caucus' recommendations for membership onto
the UN Working Group on Internet Governance?

Is information available about a time frame for this process or its next
steps?  Thank you.

Robin Gross
IP Justice Executive Director
www.ipjustice.org