News of the nominating committee

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Wed Jul 21 13:17:13 CEST 2004

Hi,

I wasn't able to make Monday's constituency meeting, so Milton
reminded me I should try to give some update on the nominating
committee.

The formal call advertising the positions we are selecting for put on
the committee's webpage on June 30,
<http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/formalcall-30jun04.htm>

We are to select 3 board members, 3 members of the new ccNSO council
(ccTLD global policy development), 1 member of the GNSO, and 2
members of the ALAC.

The 3 board seats are currently occupied by Vint Cerf, Tricia Drakes
and Ivan Moura Campos.  All 3 are eligible to stand again if they
wish.

2 ALAC seats are regional, for North America and Europe (Roberto
Gaetano, Europe comes to the end of a 1 year term, the holder of the
other seat resigned earlier this year so is vacancy.)

We are receiving statements of interest, but not as many as we'd
like.  Closing date is August 7. I would appreciate any
recommendations I can follow up on, or simply persuade people to
complete the forms and send them in.  Self nominations are perfectly
OK and should be encouraged.

Information about the positions below (text has lost some formatting
but I hope clear -- there's more in the FAQs, etc. you can find
online  <http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/>

Thanks,

Adam

ICANN Nominating Committee - About the Positions

The ICANN Nominating Committee invites Recommendations and Statements
of Interest from the community as it seeks qualified candidates for
the four types of positions outlined below.

Candidates for all positions should be women and men with a high
level of qualifications and experience with an international outlook
including some familiarity with the Internet.  They should be
prepared to contribute to the collective decision-making process
among ICANN's constituencies, supporting organizations, and advisory
committees.

Board of Directors

ICANN's Directors, as a group, are responsible for exercising the
powers of ICANN, controlling its property, and conducting or
directing its business and affairs, except as otherwise provided in
the ICANN Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws.  Directors serve as
individuals who have the duty to act in what they reasonably believe
are the best interests of ICANN and not as representatives of the
entity that selected them, their employers, or any other
organizations or constituencies.

Number of Seats
Start of Term
End of Term
3
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2007

GNSO Council

The Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) is a
policy-development body responsible for developing and recommending
to the ICANN Board substantive policies relating to generic top-level
domains.  The GNSO consists of various Constituencies representing
particular groups of stakeholders and a GNSO Council, responsible for
managing the policy development process of the GNSO. See
http://gnso.icann.org for more information about the GNSO.

Number of Seats
Start of Term
End of Term
1
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2006

Interim ALAC

ICANN's At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) is responsible for
considering and providing advice on the activities of ICANN as they
relate to the interests of individual Internet users (the "At-Large"
community). Underpinning the ALAC will be a network of
self-organizing, self-supporting At-Large Structures throughout the
world involving individual Internet users at the local or issue
level. The Interim ALAC will assist in the formation and
qualification of At-Large Structures and Regional At-Large
Organizations (RALOs). The Regional At-Large Organizations will
manage outreach and public involvement and will be the main forum and
coordination point in each region for public input to ICANN.

Upon the seating of persons selected by all five Regional At-Large
Organizations (RALOs), the Interim At-Large Advisory Committee shall
become the At-Large Advisory Committee, as established by the ICANN
Bylaws. The individuals selected to the Interim At-Large Advisory
Committee by the Nominating Committee shall become members of the
At-Large Advisory Committee for the remainder of the terms for which
they were selected. See http://alac.icann.org for more information
about the ALAC.

Number of Seats
Start of Term
End of Term
1 (Europe Region)
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2006
1 (North America Region)
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2006

ccNSO Council

The Country Code Names Supporting Organization is a
policy-development body which is responsible for developing and
recommending to the Board global policies relating to country-code
top-level domains, nurturing consensus across the ccNSO's community,
including the name-related activities of ccTLDs; and coordinating
with other ICANN Supporting Organizations, committees, and
constituencies under ICANN.

In addition to the above core responsibilities, the ccNSO may also
engage in other activities authorized by its members, including:
seeking to develop voluntary best practices for ccTLD managers,
assisting in skills building within the global community of ccTLD
managers, and enhancing operational and technical cooperation among
ccTLD managers.  The ccNSO consists of ccTLD managers that have
agreed in writing to be members of the ccNSO, and a ccNSO Council
responsible for managing the policy-development process of the ccNSO.
See http://ccnso.icann.org for more information about the ccNSO.

Number of Seats
Start of Term
End of Term
1
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2005
1
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2006
1
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2004
Conclusion of Annual Meeting 2007

Those who serve in any of the above positions will:

* work with accomplished colleagues from around the globe.
* address intriguing technical coordination problems and related
policy development challenges with diverse functional, cultural, and
geographic dimensions.
* gain valuable insights and experience from working across these
boundaries of knowledge, responsibility, and perspective.
* gain the satisfaction of making a valuable public service
contribution. Placing the broad public interest ahead of any
particular interests, they will help ensure the stability and
security of this valuable global resource for critically important
societal functions.
* be challenged to use their knowledge, experience, and
open-mindedness to develop creative responses to the dilemmas that
arise when diverse needs of Internet users, technical possibilities
and limitations of the Internet's unique identifier systems, and
challenges and opportunities of the competitive business environment
interact with each other and with evolving laws and governmental
policies.

These positions are voluntary, although direct expenses incurred in
the course of duty may be reimbursed.  These positions may involve
significant international travel, including personal presence at
periodic ICANN meetings, as well as regular telephone and Internet
communications.

For more information, see
http://www.icann.org/committees/nom-comm/formalcall-30jun04.htm.
To have a Statement of Interest form sent to you, contact
nomcom.coordinator at icann.org.