Fwd: PIR Plan Regarding Legacy IDNs

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 14 21:11:30 CET 2004

Dear Members: I am forwarding this letter,
which i just received now, from Ed Viltz regarding
PIR's policy toward internationalized domain names.
(It was sent to me because only members have access
to the NCUC list and PIR is not eligible to be a member.)
--MM

======

Dear NCUC Members,

PIR is committed to listen to and support the international non-commercial community. As you may be aware, a major component of our charter is to serve the public interest.

PIR's original plan regarding legacy IDNs was to delete them effective February 1st . Since that time we have received multiple requests from the international .ORG community to reconsider this decision. In an effort to be responsive to you, we have decided to maintain the legacy RACE encoded IDNs in the data base until Punycode equivalents are available. Details on our plan are included in the attached letter to Dr. Paul Twomey and FAQs will be posted to the PIR Website.

We have and will continue to work towards a new standard of customer satisfaction as an exemplary registry.  We trust you concur that this decision is consistent with that commitment.

Warmest Regards,

Ed

Edward G. Viltz                         (v) +1-703-464-7005

President & CEO                       (f) +1-703-464-7006

Public Interest Registry              1775 Wiehle Ave, #102A

www.pir.org                               Reston, VA 20190  USA

      "Serving the Public Interest"