UDRP: cultural imperialism

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Fri Feb 20 03:19:16 CET 2004

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> Am I very biased as a non-native speaker of English? The UDRP case
> below was conducted in English even if the rules said it should/could
> be in Korean and the respondent demanded that. Reason: Respondent had
> replied in English, so has enough English. So never do that?
>
> http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2003/d2003-0989.html
>
> It is a most curious case in other respects as well. Complainants do
> not seem to have to prove anything anymore. Mere assertions suffice.
> Well.

All the rhetoric about the facilitation and development of "local
language" fapacities for electronic communication and local content
development to safeguarde cultural diversity in the age of the
information society - which looks so nice in WSIS documents - sounds
quite useless if WIPO can act like this.

Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia

=

For those who are interested: we started a Khmer language and Open
Source software initiative in Cambodia; have a not only casual look:

http://KhmerOS.info