Timely: Questions for Task Force 2

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 14 16:59:03 CET 2004

Hi All:
Early this week, we need to return a questionnaire from WHOIS Task Force 2 on
our concerns and uses of WHOIS data elements.  Milton circulated these
questions about a week ago, you can also find them in full at:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/questionnaire-tf2-all-06feb04.shtml.

But I need your help.  WHOIS data (at domain name registration) requires
individuals, families and small organizations to give name, address, phone and
email.  Thisis very personal data -- required for publication in the global
database.  So I ask you for examples of:
1) Abuse or misuse of this information.  Do you have specific examples of
this information being misused to track human rights workers, harrass individuals
over their website opinions, or hurt someone (stalking is one example).   If
so, please send.
2) Use of this information.  We have to report on our use of WHOIS data.  Do
you have specific examples of where you/your organization have used the WHOIS
data and it has had a good result?

many thanks, please respond by 2/16 (Monday) if possible.  regards, kathy