Draft Comments on Proxy Services

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Wed Feb 25 01:55:57 CET 2004

Kathy, you argue very much from a freedom of speech approach. Why not
from a privacy approach? Why on earth should anybody be able to find
out who is the owner of a car with license plate ZS-06-LK in Holland?
That is my car. It can do much more harm than a domain. Still, if you
want to find out, that it is my car, you have to go through legal
loopholes. The burden of proof is upon those who want a thick,
obligatory, whois, not on those who want it tuned down to minimal and
voluntary data.

In Europe this is sort of normal. Any company that wants your data has
to ask for your permission (in writing) to store them in a database.
And it cannot share it with anyone else.

Am I wrong that registrars are still entitled (or even obliged) to
sell my whois data to third parties? Why? Who is the owner of my data?
I can opt out of this bulk selling of my data. But not of making
public that I own a domain. In some (or many I do not know) European
countries you cannot even find out who owns a piece of land, unless
you can establish a legitimate interest in knowing the details. Why
for domains open to all at any time so easily? Ask those who insist on
whois as it is, why, why, why. The burden is upon them. Not us.