Draft NCUC comments

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Wed Feb 18 02:30:11 CET 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, at 19:30 [=GMT-0500], KathrynKL at AOL.COM wrote:

> Note that we have
> eliminated domain creation and expiration dates.
> We believe that the inclusion of that information promotes
> spamming and manipulative or fraudulent service offerings
> from competing registrars.

So do I.

> We can think of no legitimate purpose
> that is served by requiring that information to be public;

I can. What other evidence is there for registrants about the
registration period for their domains other than whois? There is no
paperwork. We cannot simply abolish whois and leave things to the
goodwill of registrars. Whois is flimsy evidence, but it is something.
It will be easier for registrars and their resellers (including
fraudulent "businesses") to fool people with renewal notices when
there is no public check for the expiry date of a domain.

--
Marc Schneiders