Bad ICANN Staff Response to Whois reform

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Dec 21 18:56:12 CET 2004

FYI, attached below is Paul Verhoef's very bad response to the Whois TF
proposal to create an "exceptions" procedure that would allow registrars
to comply with local privacy laws by adjusting their Whois practices to
conform to local law.

This response is deeply troubling on two levels. Most important is the
process issue. Under ICANN's structure, policy regarding domain names is
supposed to be developed in a "bottom up" process that involves
consensus among the constituencies in the GNSO. (Never mind the fact
that the consituency structure itself is biased - when the
constituencies can reach unanimous agreement, as they did in this case,
it is pretty important and should be respected).

However, the response below indicates that Paul Verhoef and ICANN's
General Counsel, Jeffries have their own ideas of what the policy should
be, and are attempting to veto anything that does not conform to those
ideas. The response also shows, as I charged in an ICANNWatch article,
that the ICANN staff does not really understand what was proposed nor
did they adequately follow the discussions and process used to develop
the procedure.

The good news is that the whole GNSO is united in viewing this response
as uninformed and inappropraite. Direct discussions with Verheof and
Jeffries are being scheduled. We have also received a supportive note
from Board member Michael Palage.

In international policy making organizations, rthere is always a danger
that secretariat staff usurps too much of the power to dictate policy,
or subordinates policy issues to its own convenience. That is what seems
to be happening here.

Council members: if you need more information about this issue, feel
free to contact me by phone or email

--MM