WGIG nominations

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Aug 27 10:18:44 CEST 2004

Just a few comments on nominations:

I agree that Karl Auerbach would be an excellent choice.  He understands
these issues intimately and has been working for the public good regarding
Internet infrastructure for many years.  The fact that he takes principled
positions and does not easily compromise from them seems to me to be a
reason to be favor of him, not against him.  We need someone who can set a
demarcation of the principled position within the group, and let the
"compromisers" negotiate from Karl's position.

I also strongly support former EU MEP Marco Cappato.  Whether we like it
or not, this group will be highly politicized, even more than ICANN, and
we need someone with hard-edged political experience at the highest level
to counter the govt and business people within this group.  Marco did this
in EU Parliament very well.  He understands both the policy issues and the
technology issues (very rare for someone with govt experience).  I think
his outstanding record on privacy, intellectual property, e-democracy, and
computer security speaks for itself.  He has dedicated his career to
defending the public interest and civil liberties, often taking difficult
and unpopular positions because they are the right choice.  He would be a
tremendous asset for the public interest on this Working Group.

I also endorse Vittorio Bertola.  He's a "tech person" who deeply
understands the policy issues and has a long track record of involvement
with Internet governance.  We have some great nominations here.

Robin