Corrected List of WGIG Nominees so far

karen banks karenb at GN.APC.ORG
Sun Aug 22 12:59:36 CEST 2004

Dear milton and all,

first, thanks for considering my nomination to the WGIG ..

>Region: Africa
>   Technical:
>   Policy: Meryem Merzouki
>Asia-Pacific
>   Technical: Paul Wilson, Pindar Wong
>   Policy: Eung Hwi Chun, Karen Banks
>Europe
>   Technical:
>   Policy: Marco Cappato
>Latin America
>   Technical: Raul Echeberria, Florencio Utreras
>   Policy: Oscar Robles (LACTLD), Carlos Afonso (RITS), Erick Iriarte
>North America
>   Technical: Karl Auerbach
>   Policy: Pamela Samuelson, Susan Crawford, William Drake

i was reticent to respond to the proposed structure/spec for nominations,
not being terribly active in this list and appreciating the efforts of
those who are working to increase participation (particularly welcoming
attempts to increase participation from the south, and from women) in
internet governance processes..

however, looking at the above list makes it necessary..

i doubt very much whether meryem would consider herself to be foward as an
african representative (and i think we should check before submitting)

i cannot be put forward as an asian representative - the fact that i was
born in melbourne 40 years ago plays little bearing on what experience or
expertise i could bring to the WG from an 'asian perspective' let alone the
fact that australia's identity as an asian nation is very sensitive - my
experience is international and if i could represent any region by virtue
of my activities and knowledge, it would be europe..

also, i'm afraid we have no arab state representation.. nor representation
from sub-saharan africa, the pacific, etc etc..

i just don't think regional representation is going to work, based on
geo-political criteria - but the above group of people collectively
comprise a wealth of expertise and experience that i'm sure could
contribute to facilitating an enabling enviornment for the process.. should
any be selected..

do we need to segment the names so much? it seems to rather highlight gaps
and anomalies overshadowing the qualities of the people themselves.. why
not just submit 10-12 names with a preamble articlating the motivation for
proposing these people..

karen