Names for the Working Group on InternetGovernance

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Sat Aug 21 07:31:36 CEST 2004

Milton, sorry, I don't think I maligned Karl in any way. I think he's
a good person, just not right for the WGIG.

The problem with the way you have set this up is the feeling I have
that if  I comment on one I should comment on all.  So I have been
"for" Karen and "against" Karl.  And I have said nothing about Paul
Wilson, (who I think would be a very strong WGIG member), or Bill
Drake (who has made v. important contributions to WSIS civil society
on ICT governance, understands the ICT for development aspects,
another potentially strong member), Susan Crawford, Meryem (very
important work WSIS) etc etc. So I kind of feel I am almost maligning
them by not commenting!

Anyway, back to Karl.  (who I am cc'ing as someone sent him an
earlier email. Hope that did not offend, particularly out of context.)

I referred to a statement you made about the types of person you said
we should be considering.

At 12:24 PM -0400 8/18/04, Milton Mueller wrote:

>This is a very high-level international committee that requires
>seasoned, experienced members who are diplomatic,
>knowledgable, and capable of working in an intensely politicized
>environment.

And I responded to this -- what was the point of it if we weren't to
consider it?

I said:

He's not very diplomatic: well he's not!  And to the best of my
knowledge he has no experience working in a UN type environment, and
no experience in ICT for development, no background in WSIS.

Karl is very interesting when talking about ICANN. I agree he was
marginalized on the board, but I also remember him doing little to
stop that happening. He's strikes me as a bit of a maverick.  We need
smart mavericks, but not on WGIG which will be a multi-stakeholder
group most likely even more complex and difficult to work than the
ICANN board (I say this because of the expected presence of
government representatives and the influence of WSIS
intergovernmental process.) I see no evidence of Karl being a
consensus builder in this kind of environment.

And I really don't think he communicated well from the board.  I
participated in ICANN meetings up to/including Shanghai 27-31 October
2002. And attended NCUC meetings or was around to know what went on,
and I think all At Large meetings during that time.

If the WGIG were about ICANN reform I would perhaps have a different
opinion.  And Internet governance in WSIS is *not* about ICANN, it's
clearly only a sub-plot.

I won't propose an technical NAM alternative.  Frankly, I don't think
the way you a proposing Policy/Technical makes sense.  Of 10, a few
with enough tech knowledge to correct misunderstandings, check on
what's possible, understand expert consultations, discuss peoples
problems in general consultations, would be more than adequate. It
would be more sensible to ask what issue will the WGIG probably
address and do we have people who will understand the technical
issues involved. Of 10, three (example) might be technically oriented
(note "oriented", broadband backgrounds -- as you mentioned, someone
like Paul Wilson-- rather than a technologist.)

And I need to make clear that I am speaking in my personal capacity.
While I have some firm ideas about the types of person that should
serve on the WGIG, I have no set views on the names of people who
should be proposed (though obviously I have some thoughts on should
not be, but would be pleased to hear reasons why I'm wrong about that
-- haven't seen any so far.)

Thanks,

Adam