Names for the Working Group on Internet Governance

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Sat Aug 21 07:33:10 CEST 2004

>The NCUC Executive Committee decided today to develop a
>list of recommended names for the Working Group on Internet
>Governance (WGIG).
>
>For background info about WGIG, see
>http://www.itu.int/wsis/preparatory2/wgig/index.html
>
>This is a very high-level international committee that requires
>seasoned, experienced members who are diplomatic,
>knowledgable, and capable of working in an intensely politicized
>environment.
>
>We'd like to get a list of 10 favored names,
>2 from each ICANN geographic region. Of the two names for
>each region, one should be especially good in the policy/human
>dimensions and the other in the technical dimension. The EC will
>take the list of nominations and winnow it down to a list of 10.
>It will then publish the results for comment. If it seems accepted,
>then the list will be forwarded to Markus Kummer; if legitimate
>objections are made or omissions identified, we will try again.

Could we have some more transparency in this process. Think it's time
the Executive Committee list was opened up as a public read-only
archive. I would like to see the winnowing.

This sudden interest from the EC in WSIS after deciding (and not
informing the members) that the NCUC would not be taking part in the
ICANN "WSIS Workshop Planning Group" seems a bit of a change of
heart. And it's important that any future position statement from the
NCUC on this go through the processes we have in the charter (a
policy committee issue, not the administrative EC?)

Anyway.  Some transparency please.  Please open the EC archive, and
backdate a couple of weeks so we can understand how this came about.

Kind of related -- did Frannie take over the NA Executive Committee seat?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake
GLOCOM Tokyo