Names for the Working Group on Internet Governance

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Fri Aug 20 11:29:24 CEST 2004

At 10:51 AM +0200 8/20/04, Iliya Nickelt wrote:
>To make the decision more challenging, I would like to recommend Karen
>Banks from APC. Any reason why we should not promote one of our own
>members?  And, speaking of Europeans, we could also consider Bill Drake.

Strongly support this. Karen has broad ICT policy expertise, and I
think would be well qualified for that dimension in the template
Milton suggested.

APC is an important organization with global reach and Karen on of
their senior members. (I am not sure if APC uses words like "senior".
I mean she does a lot!) She is a member/co-leader of the UNICT Task
Force ICT Policy and Governance.

But what makes me particularly enthusiastic to support Karen is the
work she has done for civil society throughout the WSIS process.  She
has been one the key members of the civil society plenary, a
wonderful communicator and link between different thematic and
regional constituencies.  She is very well respected by WSIS civil
society and as such would be a fine link from the working group to
the rest of civil society as it's constituted in WSIS.  Having people
with a proven record of communicating knowledge, of outreach and
listening will be vital to us.  Karen would be great.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake
GLOCOM Tokyo