Names for the Working Group on Internet Governance

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Aug 19 20:24:10 CEST 2004

RE:  NCUC Recommendation to UN Working Group: Marco Cappato
Region:  Europe (Policy)

I believe that Mr. Marco Cappato would make an excellent choice for
ICANN's NCUC to endorse as a Member of the UN's Working Group on
Internet Governance.

A Member of the EU Parliament from Italy between 1999 – 2004, Mr.
Cappato has demonstrated leadership and knowledge in several high
technology policy issues.  Specifically, Mr. Cappato was a parliamentary
draftsman on a number of key initiatives to protect individual privacy
rights in electronic communications and ensure safe processing of
personal data.  And he was active in the EU Parliament's Committee on
Citizens' Freedoms and Rights, Justice and Home Affairs.

Mr. Cappato proposed amendments to the 2004 EU IP Rights Enforcement
Directive that would have protected consumers engaging in non-commercial
copying from being punished as if they were large commercial pirates.
He has been a strong voice in Europe against Hollywood’s attack on
Internet file-sharing.  In 2002 Mr. Cappato also drafted an EU Report on
cyber-crime and attacks against information systems, and he spearheaded
initiatives in the European Parliament aimed at promoting e-democracy.

As a member of the EU delegation at WSIS in Geneva, Cappato worked to
include support for civil liberties and the promotion of free and open
source software in the official WSIS documents.  Mr. Cappato has also
represented his political group at the United Nations since 1997.

Given his solid record of defending civil liberties in the European
Parliament, particularly on Internet governance issues, Marco Cappato
can be trusted to protect the rights of non-commercial Internet users on
this UN Working Group.

Internet users will have a real shot at strong representation on the UN
Working Group if we collectively recommend Marco Cappato!

Robin Gross