Request for advice

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Fri Aug 6 17:09:42 CEST 2004

Milton, thanks.

Do you suggest NCUC members send in their part answers to the
questions?  Happy to... as far as I understand what the questions are
getting at!

Further comment inline below:

At 2:33 PM -0400 8/5/04, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Fwd: Template for ICANN Constituency/Stakeholder Input on WSIS
>
>Dear members:
>The message below was sent to the Chair and Council members
>of NCUC. It is asking us to provide "input" into a template
>that would then be used by ICANN's "WSIS Workshop
>Planning Group" and probably also by ICANN management
>to formulate some kind of common position to take into the
>WSIS process.
>
>The questions we are asked to fill out are in themselves
>rather harmless. However, I view the idea of ICANN as a
>whole "developing a bottom-up consensus to guide positions
>on Internet governance" with some concern and puzzlement.
>It would seem that our members, and the constituent parts of
>ICANN, can develop their own positions. Many of us are already
>deeply involved in the WSIS process anyway and don't
>need "guidance".
>
>However, I could be wrong about this, so I solicit the
>membership's advice.
>
>My recommendation is to fill out the questions with
>the relevant facts but add at the beginning a caveat
>stating that NCUC and its members reserve to themselves
>the ability to represent their own positions, either
>individually or collectively as a constituency, in the
>WSIS process.

All very well that members and/or the constituency might have a
position on WSIS (I haven't seen any discussion of our position),
what bothers me is that no one from the constituency is participating
in this "WSIS Workshop Planning Group".  All the business
constituencies and ALAC are there, and no NCUC.  This isn't good.

Could the constituency's executive committee please appoint someone
to this planning group.

Thanks,

Adam