Some comments on WGIG nominees

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Mon Aug 23 09:22:49 CEST 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Milton Mueller wrote:

> The only possible objection to Paul is that APNIC is an industry
> association. One might then think that he is not "civil society"
> in the same sense as we are, and that the private sector

  I agree with Milton's assessment here.  Paul is the head of APNIC.
I don't think that is a CS organization. Then again, I understand that
Karen and possibly other APC/CS groups have a good working relationship
with Paul and he would understand the situation of the CS groups. I
haven't worked with him in any capacity so I have no insight into his
views.

> Re: Pindar Wong - I am surprised to see him nominated by Norbert.
> Pindar is a very smart man. He pioneered the ISP industry in Hong
> Kong (and cleverly sold off the business just before the rush
> of competition made it unprofitable). He was an ICANN Board

   I agree with Milton's assessment here too.  I don't think Pindar
Wong would be a good CS rep in the WGIG.  He represents businesses
interests, not non-comm interests.