Names for the Working Group on Internet Governance

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Aug 20 15:50:48 CEST 2004

I would like to put some names forward for North America,
and (more hesitantly) suggest names from some other
regions.

North America
Tech: Karl Auerbach.
http://www.cavebear.com/CaveBear/karl.html
For the technical side, Karl Auerbach strikes me as a person who
is good to recommend. Karl has deep experience in Internet governance
and is known as an independent but constructive critic of ICANN
who served responsibly on its Board as an elected member.
Karl also has a deep understanding of the technical issues.
One thing I appreciate a lot about him is his commitment to
accountability, for example staying in constant communication
with individuals and constituency groups while on the board and
maintaining an open, running commentary on board activities on
his web site.

Policy: Pamela Samuelson, Susan Crawford
I can't make up my mind here, here are two good suggestions.
Samuelson is a professor at the Berkeley law school and has a
long-term involvement in intellectual property issues.
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~pam/ She is an
opponent of overly strong copyright, patent or trademark
protection and a defender of a vibrant public domain. Pamela
tracked the WIPO TRIPS treaty process from its inception and
played a critical role in altering public interest groups to the
rights that were being negotiated away. I personally believe that
WIPO and IPR issues will be (or should be) as important in the
WGIG as ICANN-related issues.
Susan Crawford is another law professor/lawyer who is involved
intellectually and as a participant in a range of comm-info policy
issues
She is associated with one of our member organizations, CDT,
and writes about digital copyright issues and internet governance.
http://scrawford.net/display/111903%20crawfordbio.htm
She maintains a pretty good blog
http://scrawford.blogware.com/blog

Asia Pacific
Tech: Paul Wilson
Paul Wilson is director of APNIC, the Asian address registry. He is
also,
or was, affiliated with APC, a member organization. He has
participated
actively in the WSIS process and the Internet Governance Caucus in
particular, holds good policy positions

Policy: Eung Hwi Chun, Peacenet South Korea
EH Chun has been an active member of NCUC, has served
on the GNSO Council, is very well informed about Internet
governance policy issues surrounding ccTLDs, and also has
good technical knowledge. I nominate him without any idea
whether he is willing, but he can speak for himself on this
list.

Africa
Here I have a very tentative suggestion, a name that I have heard
mentioned by others I respect. I have some very limited experience
with this person, and hope that others from the region would follow
up with other suggestions or comment on this one.

Meryem Merzouki, a Tunisian human rights activist and scholar
who currently lives in Paris. She was active in the WSIS Civil
Society Human Rights Caucus.