Fwd: 2004 Nominating Committee - Invitation

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Apr 27 18:58:41 CEST 2004

Harold:
You and Adam are right that specific names should not be discussed.
That is explicitly prohibited in the NomComm procedures.

However, it is a typical ICANN trap to say that the representative
we choose does not "represent the consituency."
Yes, yes, I am more familiar than I wish to be with the kind of
doublespeak that ICANN's managment and apologists will
generate on this point, but let's be realistic:

The NCUC gets to choose a person because it is the best way
to represent the perspectives and knowledge of noncommercial
users. It is our right to expect that the person we send to
the Nomcomm will do that.

Of course, they do not directly "represent" our choices -  the confidentiality requirements make it impossible
for that person to consult actively with the consituency (or
anyone else outside the Nomcom) regarding names and
specific alternatives. But we can and do want the person
we select to be someone who is attuned to the general
policy perspectives and needs of this constituency, otherwise
we should not select them. You can be quite sure that the
other constituencies have the same attitude (indeed,
the Business constituency managed to wangle TWO
representatives, showing that in ICANN-land some
constituencies are more equal than others), although
they might not be as forthright as I am in admitting it.

--MM

>>> Harold Feld <hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG> 04/27/04 12:07PM >>>
Also, if I remember correctly, the rep is chosen by the consticuency but
does not _represent_ the consticuency.  That is to say, the
representative is an independent agent -- albeit one chosen for
particular expertise.

Is my understanding correct?

Harold