[dow1tf] Summary of Major Points from the Last Call

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Fri Apr 9 00:46:24 CEST 2004

Two remarks:

1. As I've said before (but perhaps not on this list): The distinction
between port 43 access and access over other protocols (mainly http,
port 80) is irrelevant for privacy related aspects (and I think for
all other [including data mining] too, but that is not our concern).
So I do not understand why Neumann links the keeping of port 43 to his
proposal.

2. A white list is utterly impossible to maintain in any proper way,
unless ICANN develops into a big bureaucratic organisation with
offices all over the world. How is ICANN going to determine who is a
consumer protection org in Tuvalu or Aruba? It cannot. So the net
result of a proposal like this, is that only IP lawyers will get
access (or the forms that do the policing of domains for them, which
were heavily represented at the recent ICANN meeting in Rome).