Fwd: 2004 Nominating Committee - Invitation

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Wed Apr 28 14:30:16 CEST 2004

Marc, you mention gender and ICANN. You're right, it's an important
issue.  And there are many other gaps, large parts of the globe have
never had a look in.

But you can only select from those who put their names forward as
candidates.  I think the first task has to be outreach and trying to
make sure that people are aware of the opportunities and are
encouraged to submit their names as candidates.  And if there are 105
candidates or less this year, I think we may have to look at whether
the NomCom process is viable. So an important first task is to make
sure that the nominating committee process is well known and well
understood by civil society, particularly by civil society in the
developing nations.

I've spent the last couple of years working with many different civil
society groups during the WSIS process. A massive network of
organizations. Outreach and trying to persuade people to get involved
in ICT policy is what I do as part of my work at GLOCOM. The NomCom's
a good overlap with my ongoing work and interests.

The nominating committee can be a great opportunity, but only if
people put their names forward for consideration.

About the selection process. I know ICANN well enough to understand
its various processes and problems, and have a good idea of the
skills needed for the positions to be filled.  I also have a
reasonable idea of the background/politics of others who might be on
the NomCom so I hope will be able to handle the compromises the group
will need to make.

I really don't want to comment on lawyer or techie (who do you think
has been ICANN's best board member to date?) And I know one or two
old white males who I think would be brilliant on some positions. But
my preference would be for diversity. I suppose the makeup of the
current names council offers a pretty good picture of what I think
ICANN should *not* look like:  UK, US (f), NZ, US, SE, NZ, AR, UK,
US, KR (f), BR, NL, CA, DE, AU, BE, MX, US (f), ES, BR, NZ, and
observer DE. I mean no comment on them as individuals, for example I
think it's especially damning that Australia and New Zealand are so
well represented from ICANN's most populous region -- but the council
chair is Australian and seems to be doing a fine job.  But with 21
(or 22) slots, clearly "could do better".  Of course the NomCom only
gets to select one names council rep this year...

I am still trying to find out what posts the NomCom will be asked to
fill.  I think there will be NomCom selected seats on the ccNSO
council, if so this is important.  There is no constituency
equivalent in the ccNSO, no NCUC for ccTLD issues. And it's not clear
to me how the "local Internet community" is represented.  So if the
NomCom is filling those seats, I would like to see emphasis on people
with qualities to represent non-commercial and user interests.
That's a position I'd take into the NomCom (and I stated it before in
comments to the evolution and reform process, so I don't think
there's any harm in mentioning again now.)

Hope this helps.  Thanks,

Adam