Business constituency on Whois

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Apr 16 23:39:41 CEST 2004

BC issued its statement on whois The statement consolidates
their position on all three task forces. I want to warn our Council
members about a tactical manuever contained within their
statement.

On virtually all three Whois Task Forces, BC recommends
creation of a new policy development process (pdp) to
follow up on their specific recommendations.

In particular, on the critical TF 2 dealing with data elements,
BC says:

"Examination of the broad implications of establishing a differentiated access model, including costs, broad impact on registrants and WHOIS users, and taking into account CRISP and other emerging standards, should be a community and Council priority. The development of such a change in WHOIS will require a further PDP process."

Maybe I am too cynical, but I see delaying tactics here.
Since business and IPR interests already have almost everything
they want from Whois now (except more accuracy, which they
think they will get from draconian U.S. legislation) it makes sense
for them to push all other changes as far as possible into the future.

Be aware of this, Council members. Oppose any motion to create
new PDPs when decisions can be made now.

--MM