Privacy law spreadsheet for TF2

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 16 06:30:30 CEST 2004

Milton:  Yes, there is good indication that the spreadsheet has had an impact
on registrars. The registrars who operate in countries with comprehensive
data protection laws are very concerned about the conflict between the ICANN
contractual requirements and their obligations under national law.  I think the
spreadsheet has helped them to see the strength of their laws as well as the
many others who share the same legal constraints.  It also lays out the comments
of their data protection commissioners -- who are waking up to the WHOIS
database and the privacy concerns of their citizens.

However, other registrars are being heavily lobbied by the business and
intellectual property constituencies, so we will see which views prevail in the
end.

Kathy (Task Force 2)