Proposed ToR for Task Force 2

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Wed Sep 24 05:15:42 CEST 2003

Thanks, Milton.

You say: "Note however that national laws often permit access to the
complete information to groups such as law enforcement and emergency
services personnel." - I agree that it is "Out-of-scope" to try to study
these different national legislations at present.

But I remember that one presentation at the Montreal meetings by a
Spanish lawyer from the EU pointed out that some of the presently used
WHOIS practices (e.g. in relation to making phone numbers publicly
available) is in violation of national legislation in some EU member
countries which have strong privacy protection provisions. She was very
strong in her statement, and clear that ICANN/WHOIS has to respect
these. And a US panelist then said: "Well, if their legislation is not
compatible, it will have to change!" Remember?

Norbert

=

Milton Mueller wrote:

> I have made some modifications and additions to
> Bruce's original draft, keeping within its spirit but
> narrowing the focus and adding milestones.
>
> Title: Review of data collected and displayed
(snip)