WHOIS

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 24 15:28:33 CEST 2003

All:
In preparation for the meeting in Tunisia, I have been doing a great deal of
research.  I have been talking with techies about the Interrnet world of 1982
when the WHOIS was created (DNS was large corporations, large research
organizations and universities, according to Scott Bradner with IETF).  It was a
world without smaller organizations, individuals, small businesses,etc.  The WHOIS
was a way to reach out to the technical person if something went wrong with
the system.

I have also been talking with people in the NCUC and outside with deep
concerns about the abuses of WHOIS.  EPIC, the Korean WHOIS decision, ACLU, EFF, and
others.  I have also listened closely and watched the video of the
presentations in Montreal.

I would like to propose in Montreal that the WHOIS data should be limited to
the Technical contact information -- a body of information we can even expand
and improve to include Technical Contact [existing], Registrar [new] and
Registry [new].  Nameservers are listed today and should probably also be listed on
this new WHOIS record.   That's the original purpose of the WHOIS data and
that's the purpose everyone agrees today is still a strong one.

This "technical data" proposal leaves to governments the right to make the
rules about how much identification information has to be provided by a website
and how much domain name holders are protected (or not).  It allows countries
to protect personal privacy, noncommercial speech, anonymity for human rights
organizations, due process for law enforcement consistent with their own laws.
 Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks, Kathy (Kleiman)
(on the data element review panel on Wed, Oct. 29)