Second report from Tunisia

Harold Feld hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG
Fri Oct 31 19:31:22 CET 2003

Kathy, thanks for your hard work and the report back to the consticuency.

The registrar/registry position has been evolving for awhile now.  They
know their customers want privacy and that their hope for big bucks here
is to make the medium friendly for individual registrants.

Has anyone surveyed business interests outside the business
consticuency?  Over the years, I have heard complaints from businesses
about how the nature of WHOIS creates problems for those seeking to
register new product names or merger-related names.  Since this is
financially sensitive information, businesses want to keep the
information of registration proprietary (apparently, it is a big deal if
you notice that drug company X has registered "blah-o-cide.com" because
it signals that blah-o-cide is close to FDA approval, or some such).  My
understanding is that they use various dummies and holding corps to get
around this.  Has anyone done any research in this area?

Harold