whois decision in Korea

YJ Park yjpark at MYEPARK.COM
Wed Oct 8 08:24:08 CEST 2003

> This is a complete misunderstanding.

Misunderstanding of whether it is to be applied to gTLDs?

According to the KISA guy, they are going to confirm whether it is going
to be applied to gTLDs or not in Nov.

> As I confirmed what is real meaning of the letter in question throughout
> the person who wrote and sent the letter in KISA,
> their answer is quite different from what YJ is just explaining.

That's why I wrote in my previous email I tried to translate the letter
"to be politically correct". I just technically translate what they said in
the letter.

> Their concern is just simply to check whether registrars or resellers
> abide by the privacy protection related rules - in case of ccTLD, our
> national law, and "in case of gTLDs, ICANN guidelines".

That's not sure yet.

Even though they might end up with that decision in Nov, are we supposed
to support KISA decision over gTLDs as well as ccTLDs if ICANN endorses
the current whois proposal?

> The clash between national law and icann guideline was not their concern
> at the moment.
>
> YJ, I have already posted this confirmation to namecom list.

Your personal talk with the guy does not confirm whether KISA or MIC
decided whether the letter would be applied to only .KR.

YJ

> regards,
>
> Chun
>
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, YJ Park wrote:
>
> > The other day I posted an abstract of whois decision issued by KISA
> > (Korea Information Security Agency). Some people keep returning to
> > me asking more details.
> >
> > Since there is no English translation for the decision, I am trying to
> > be accurate about the KISA decision to be politically correct.
> >
> > KISA issued and sent a letter to every registrars(10) and resellers(158)
in Korea
> > a week ago.
> >
> > It says the current whois policy is violating Information Communication
Network Law,
> > Clause 22. 2. 3. and Clause 24. 2. According to the law, it is
recommended the
> > registars and the resellers should take actions to give options to the
users whether
> > the registrants agree to disclose the whois info before they disclose
the whois info.

> > The current constroversy in Korea is
> >
> > 1. whether this decision should be applied to the gTLDs as well as
ccTLDs.

> > 2. how are we going to deal with the clash between national law and
ICANN policy,