whois decision in Korea

YJ Park yjpark at MYEPARK.COM
Wed Oct 8 07:30:02 CEST 2003

The other day I posted an abstract of whois decision issued by KISA
(Korea Information Security Agency). Some people keep returning to
me asking more details.

Since there is no English translation for the decision, I am trying to
be accurate about the KISA decision to be politically correct.

KISA issued and sent a letter to every registrars(10) and resellers(158) in Korea
a week ago.

It says the current whois policy is violating Information Communication Network Law,
Clause 22. 2. 3. and Clause 24. 2. According to the law, it is recommended the
registars and the resellers should take actions to give options to the users whether
the registrants agree to disclose the whois info before they disclose the whois info.

The current constroversy in Korea is

1. whether this decision should be applied to the gTLDs as well as ccTLDs.

2. how are we going to deal with the clash between national law and ICANN policy,
    which doesn't have any formal treay status in the international law.

YJ