Council term for two years

Iliya Nickelt iliya at GMX.DE
Sat Nov 22 15:22:33 CET 2003

On 21 Nov 2003 at 10:15, Milton Mueller wrote:
> Therefore I propose that Marc Schneiders be given
> the two year term. If no one objects, we will go
> ahead with that. If anyone objects, we will hold a runoff election as
> Horacio suggested. I mean ANY objection at all from a member. I do not
> want myself, or anyone else, to have to "declare" consensus. Consensus
> means unanimity. If we have unanimity, we can solve this quickly.

A run-off would probably produce the result Milton now proposes
However, normally I would object against "declaration by email
consensus".

It all depends on how urgent the issue is: If we have some more time,
to wait for another week would not hurt, I think. On a closed list
("only subscribers can post"), you can sometimes have problems to
come through (it has happened to others, too :-) ) Of course, on a
topic that important, even a few private mails would have been nice.

If time is an issue, in the interest of getting this constituency
working, I would not object against choosing Marc Schneiders
directly.

As for future procedure, we can consider the alternative of flipping
a bit (vulgo: throwing a coin). At least it should be the third step
if run-off fails, too. We could use any kind of random event, like
the last digit of the Dow Jones or the Verisign share, or simply
trust the chair.

        --iliya

PS (a bit off-topic) - about my criticism on the EC votes: The
secretariat assured me that the votes were hand-counted. Thus I
apologize for my arrogance. Also, I did not take into account that
large organisations have two votes, as it says on top of each and
every ballot. Fortunatly, at least to save my skin, it says nowhere
in the ballot wether it comes from a large or small organisation, so
I could not avoid miscounting.