New registry services (Jisuk,Carlos,Marc - please note)

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Sat Nov 8 12:09:29 CET 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, at 13:13 [=GMT+0900], Adam Peake wrote:

> (Not sure if VeriSign's customers are registrants, think they are
> registrars?)

Exactly. Which is why they have no business in trying to enhance
users' browsing experience. Esp. not without asking the users.

> >  >>> Marc Schneiders <marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG> 11/07/03 04:36PM >>>
> >>I tried to sow another path in my earlier email. Sitefinder is not
> >>about new services, but about abusing a service contract for making
> >>money without introducing any new service. Sitefinder may be construed
> >>as a service to users of the internet (as Verisign did). But not as a
> >>service to their customers, domain name registrants. What Verisign did
> >>with Sitefinder amounts to the same as my bank giving info about my
> >>bad credit to loan sharks. (I am streching it a bit, ok.)
> >
> >Right. I see what you mean. SiteFinder definitely is not a service to
> >..com/.net registration customers.
>

> Anyway, this may not be completely correct.  Sitefinder had a feature
> asking 'did you mean', and suggested a couple of live domains with
> near combinations of characters in the name (typo for example only =
> adapeake.com, sitefinder gave a couple of suggestions adampeake.com,
> adampeak.com)
>
> Ben Edelman had no data on this, whether people used it and found it
> useful.  And I don't remember of the sites sitefinder suggested as
> alternatives took the user to live websites or just to registered
> domains.
>
> Point - if it work and helped people find the name they were looking
> for, it did serve VeriSign's customers.

No. See above.

> Don't ignore possible consumer benefits.

I did not want these "benefits". I had to turn it off.