concise description of NCUC

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 4 22:31:06 CET 2003

>>> Eric S Johnson <johnson at INTERNEWS.FR> 11/04/03 >>>
>do we (NCUC) have any concise description of what NCUC
>membership is and entails? if it's out there, i'd like to get it and
>send it around to colleagues in the NGO world to see if i can drum
>up interest in joining.

Eric:
An excellent suggestion. The information you
are asking for is on the website, but here is a shorter compilation
that provides the basics. Feel free to copy and re-post.

=====

The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) is the official home for noncommercial domain name holders in ICANN. As part of the Generic
Name Supporting Organization (GNSO), it develops and supports
policies that favor noncommercial communication and activity on the Internet.

To be eligible for the NCUC you must be:
1. An organization (not necessarily incorporated)
2. The exclusive user of at least one domain name
3. Engaged in activities that are primarily noncommercial

Ineligible organizations are:
1. Organizations whose primary purpose is to hold government
office and/or elect government officials

2. Associations of or for the benefit of commercial entities (even
if they are non-profit in form)

3. Organizations that provide services under contract or MoU
with ICANN, or are represented in ICANN through another
Supporting Organization

Members of NCUC elect representatives to ICANN's GNSO
Council, which in turn elects ICANN Board members and votes
on policy recommendations to the Board. Members can also
participate in policy development processes through ICANN
Task Forces and Committees.

Members are expected to designate an official representative
who is subscribed to the constituency list, who votes and
participates on the organization's behalf. Membership dues
are $50 for two years for small organizations, and $100/
two years for large organizations.

To join the NCUC, do the following:
1. Download the membership application form at http://www.ncdnhc.org/NCUC-Membership.txt

2. Fill it out

3. Return it by email to the Secretary (the form contains
the email address).

4. Send a check, or use credit card for membership dues
Checks should be payable in US$ and made out to "NCUC."

For more details on how we operate, see our website,
http://www.ncdnhc.org
which also contains a complete copy of our charter.