Re: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Important: term of Council members

Jisuk Woo jisuk at SNU.AC.KR
Mon Nov 24 15:09:11 CET 2003

This is Jisuk. It seems that there have been a lot of discussions regarding the term of the council members. I have been traveling around, but I could sometimes check the mail. I had to take some time thinking about this.

Many people here seem to want Marc to serve two-year term, so I do not object either.

But I would like to share my observations and concerns that I came to have since I was put on this list, which was very recent.

Here, there does not seem to be enough time to think, analyze, and prepare the answers, let alone any prior notice that what would be important matters to be decided, with what time frame. I particularly did not understand why the issue regarding the term of the members came up so late, after the election. The following issue,

"One issue we need to clear up. One of these three needs to
> > > be appointed for a two-year term, the others for a one-year
> > > term. "

was not known to me when I was running. And it seemed that many other people did not know, either. Why wasn't this issue dealt with "before" the election, rather than "after" the election? It seems that there is some kind of procedural problem here, which I am not familiar yet.

To me personally, this is a more serious matter than a procedural one. When I was considering whether or not i should run for the council membership, I had to take many issues into consideration, including my personal situation and my capacity to learn about what is going on in the NCUC and the Council and to make good contribution.

At first I had decided that next year rather than this year would be better for me to run and serve, because I am expecting less obligations burdening my time next year. But I was told by those who encouraged me to run, that this is a two-year term so I cannot run next year, and I would have some time to learn and make myself more familiar with the operation of NCUC and the Council. If I had known that the terms are different for Council members, I might have made a different decision.

However, I think dwelling further on the timing of notifying the different terms of the membershiip would not produce any productive solution. More serious problem that functions as a black cloud regarding my participation is the odd time of the teleconference meetings. The first one was scheduled at 4:00 am in Korea. No other region was assigned this kind of time. And at first I thought that it could happen once in a while because members are all around the world. But now I found out that the next meeting is scheduled at the same odd hour of 4 am. This is an impossible time for me to participate, if I am to function at all as a professional and mother. So I am seriouly in dount whether I could ever make any contribution if the scheduling continues in this way. I have contacted the relevant person to ask if there is a way to solve this problem, and am waiting for an answer.

I ended up sharing more frustrations than observations with you all, but I felt that many were waiting for my response.

Please take care.

Sincerely,

Jisuk

우지숙 (Woo, Jisuk)

서울대학교 행정대학원

Assistant Professor

Graduate School of Public Administration

Seoul National University

tel: 82-2-880-5633 (tel)

fax: 82-2-6248-0951(fax)

email: jisuk at snu.ac.kr