Second report from Tunisia

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 3 13:59:06 CET 2003

Harold:  This is a great question, and it sounds like you have more knowledge
about it than anyone.  I know of no study, but I think this is an area that
it would be helpful to the Constituency, and the WHOIS arena, if you could
pursue.  Maybe one of the Chambers of Commerce might be helpful.

We represent many countries in the NCUC:  has anyone heard of problems with
small business and/or big business having problems naming products and wanting
some trade secrecy in the WHOIS/domain name registration system?

It is always good to have some commercial allies for noncommercial support :-)

Kathy

Harold Feld wrote:
<<Has anyone surveyed business interests outside the business
consticuency?  Over the years, I have heard complaints from businesses
about how the nature of WHOIS creates problems for those seeking to
register new product names or merger-related names.  Since this is
financially sensitive information, businesses want to keep the
information of registration proprietary (apparently, it is a big deal if
you notice that drug company X has registered "blah-o-cide.com" because
it signals that blah-o-cide is close to FDA approval, or some such).  My
understanding is that they use various dummies and holding corps to get
around this.  Has anyone done any research in this area?