[ncdnhc-discuss] U.S. Senate subcommittee holds .kids.us hearing

DannyYounger at cs.com DannyYounger at cs.com
Fri Sep 13 21:57:55 CEST 2002

Harold,

I've got two young kids in my household, so this situation affects me
personally.  In view of the fact that NeuStar recently went through a series
of layoffs and closed two of their offices (Chicago and DC), I am concerned
about their ability to manage a number of operations simultaneously.  The
capital and human resources that they will need to commit to do a proper job
of namespace management for kids.us (in view of Congressional requirements)
seems to argue against their bid to also manage the .org namespace, as they
will not enjoy the benefit of obtaining the VeriSign endowment.  I question
whether their financial condition is sufficiently sound.  Unfortunately, full
financial disclosure was not required in the .org sponsorship bid, so I guess
we'll never know how bad their situation really is other than by reading the
posts to fuckedcompany.com which don't present that firm's financial position
in a positive light.

My intent was not to slam NeuStar but rather to draw attention to the
non-performance of this voluntary body that they have convened, the .us
Policy Council.  I don't like having policy decisions legislated to the ccTLD
manager owing primarily to the fact that a Policy Council hasn't done the job
that they accepted to do.  This establishes a horrible precedent.  Whenever
possible, governments should be kept at an arm's length away from the
namespace.  I was counting on the Policy Council to make such legislation
potentially unnecessary.