[ncdnhc-discuss] New TLDs - plan for more

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Thu Oct 31 04:54:58 CET 2002

At 01:32 01/11/02, Milton Mueller wrote:

>Jefsey, as usual there is something to what you say
>but reactionary antiAmericanism warps your perspective.
>Trust me when I say that there are some major european
>commercial interests who would like very much for the TLD
>space to be opened to development. And you will see
>action on that front soon.

I am afraid you misread me. You are obliging me to detail the things. Too
bad, you will have to survive my Frenglish.

There is no antiAmericanism whatsoever in what I say. If you read it that
way it will (and it does cf TLDs, infra) blur your understanding. All what
I say is that there is a non-European State which has an undue dominance on
the net (we can discuss at length the reasons why we think it is undue).

This is something no one can accept, except possibly the Americans. The
undue character is a factor of instability. The one (any one) who has that
advantage may accept it if he is shortsighted, or give it away against the
best terms if he has a real vision of its long term interests. This has
nothing to do with who he is.

For a while we though the US had that a long term vision and tried to
organize a concert in the governance, what is their interest, IMHO. The
policy we observed the USG to follow was to open ICANN and statu quo. Then
Plan B came (before Bush and Sep/11); a change started in Yokohama.

What we now observe is a closed ICANN, confirming itself as a de facto
Agency. And, may be, new TLDs (I told about one mild option, there are
others more "dramatic", more challenging, we will see). This looks to me a
typical school case (as I have been taught) of Democrat to Republican
"alternance" (switch), such as the one we have right now in France, with a
traditional protectionist flavor in the US case.

I am purely neutral to that political situation. My interest is the network
and the development it permits. We are to adapt. The network was endangered
by the previous ICANN strategy, it is endangered by the current ICANN
strategy. ICANN strategy is detail, except if aggressive, what we fear. The
Arpanet technical culture is the problem, and it  does not change yet, but
it may change with Richard Clarke.

Now, certainly, there are European which would be interested in TLD
development. I am one of them :-). But I doubt they envision copying the US
business model. A remark of a civil servant in here: "multiply by 1000 what
we lose to the US with Internet, to get what they lose in Telecom". Do not
think "AmerICANN Joke" is anti-Americanism. It is a pragmatic evaluation
which translates today in NASDAQ results.

IMHO again the real problem is the US network lack of architecture/vision
(1996 "Information" is what we called "Informatique" in the 50s). The moves
of ICANN in the coming 2 months will tell us if the US make it to what we
named Telematique in mid-70s or ever further. What Stuart will say may tell
a lot: what we look for is the trend. No one can continue the way we do today.

Now the question is simple: will USA an Europe cooperate or compete.
Competition IMHO would be a total waste of money, efforts, time and lives.
Cooperation would be quite complex but really interesting in terms of new
technical and societal developments. With huge positive consequences for
the entire world. But are the US ready for an e-NATO. If I read Jeff: not yet.

The ball is in their field. Because they have the momentum, the motivation
and Microsoft, but mostly because they are architecturally and societally
late? Even if we are not yet ready, we can only wait for yjem (but not too
long asi it gives them an advantage in their leading areas). In all that
ICANN is the place where the USG must speak. Stuart started the things
twice with Security in MdR, with the fake call on Govs. He describes it as
a "management by surprises."

We will see what he has to say. It will probably be interesting -
positively or negatively.
But it will not be the whole Internet anymore. It will be the US side of
the Internet.
He worked hard enough for that to be accepted.
jfc