[ncdnhc-discuss] New TLDs - plan for more

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Wed Oct 30 22:25:49 CET 2002

At 21:38 31/10/02, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >a way for the USA to build an international
> >pre-marketshare on the leading markets where
> >they feel Europe or others might take a lead (we
> >see that at the WSIS preparation).
>
>Care to elaborate on this one?

ShanghaI has clarfied the things. The fiction of an International Internet
open to all on equal basis, etc.. is over.

We now are in international business/political relations, facing the undue
domainance of a foreign State. Either we see an alliance and a new
equilibirum developpng, or we will oppose. New TLDs are a breach in the
status quo we had been made to believe. There are serveral hypothsis on the
motivations and the targets, including the mild one I gave.

It is a good thing that Staff (ie USG) know that they fool no one and that
severals have not digested the ".edu" US hi-jacking carried by Mike
Roberts. It would be a poor idea to think this could be tried again.  NC
and BC members on this list should understand this would have an impact.
jfc