New ORG DNS (Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] some news stories from Shanghai)

Marc Schneiders marc at fuchsia.bijt.net
Wed Oct 30 00:30:44 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, at 10:08 [=GMT-0500], KathrynKL at aol.com wrote:

> HEADLINE: UltraDNS To Provide DNS Infrastructure for .ORG; UltraDNS Replaces
> Verisign's DNS With Next Generation Non-BIND DNS Infrastructure

> "While this is very big news for UltraDNS, it is also an important
> development for the public Internet. By having .ORG domain names resolve
> through a non-BIND based DNS infrastructure such as UltraDNS', the Internet
> is immeasurably safer and more reliable," said Ben Petro, president and CEO
> of UltraDNS. "ICANN's decision to award the .ORG registry operation to ISOC
> is a vote of confidence in ISOC's selected service providers, such as
> UltraDNS, and their capabilities."
>
> UltraDNS' DNS infrastructure guarantees mission-critical, 100 percent
> directory services reliability and high performance - unlike legacy BIND
> systems. Utilizing proprietary Directory Services Platform, UltraDNS has
> built the first global, fail-safe server network designed to meet demands for
> 100 percent, SLA-guaranteed reliability, scalability, security, and high
> performance data management in today's Internet and telecom environment -
> supporting millions of users managing billions of records.

> proprietary

Yes, well, two questions:

1. Was Verisign not going to do DNS for free for the year 2003 for ORG?

2. UltraDNS claims a lot. Much better and safer than Bind. How can we
check this? The software is closed source.

3. Do the present ORG nameservers run Bind? I have it in my ears they do
not, but run another proprietary nameserver package. And they think they
run something special themselves, if you ask them about it: VGRS1. So
UltraDNS is barking up the wrong tree. Or did I miss something?