[ncdnhc-discuss] CYBER-FED No.15: The User Voice in Internet Governance -- ICANNatlarge.org

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Sun Oct 27 06:43:20 CET 2002

Dear Barbara,
why not just to say what all of us known all the way long and that Joe Sims
spent his time telling us and that GAC Members explained to us from the
very beginning and that we partly failed at correcting using the
"democratic tool"?

The "A" in ICANN really stands for "Agency", what a GAC Member described as
the well-known "AmerICANN". This Agency as any other Gov Agency in the
world is here to enforce the law to the benefit of its country and of its
citizens. In this case (47 USC 230 (f)(1)) the control by the USG, under
the jurisdiction of the Congress, of every computer in the world plugged
into a packet switch network interoperable with US resources. The flaw
comes from the US constant data networking doctrine (and Arpanet
architecture): the datanetwork is an access to a computer club, priority
now to the US critical infrastructure club. Such a network has no/few
specific reality by itself and offers no internal services to the users.
Services are on the edges (what one might name 1D network vertical
architecture, by opposition to 2D horizontal architecture including
ancillary and added services and to 3D architecture extending to the global
relational usage). Such a vision does not technically care about users.
Only "3D" does, hence the imbalance between their offer and our expectations.

What was a fair commercial and political attempt to control the world
through a cross contract policy too complex to unknot, has become since
Sept/11 a US national security issue. Stuart Lynn never called on the Govs
for money, but to determine who was supporting the US security policy and
who was interested in being protected by the US e-umbrella. The @large
smokescreen maintained by Mike Roberts, just in case, was initially
evaluated as a source of risks and then kept at as a low cost and still
possibly useful diversion. The ERC is just adapting the ICANN structure to
a standard Agency structure. GAC and ITU are the ways to handle the Govs.
ccTLDs as such are not of any real interest; they were ways to relate with
their Govs.

The same as Shanghai Beijing oriented, I read Amsterdam as the nearest
place from Brussels ICANN could chose to try a last attempt to enroll
Europe, trying to use the still different internal European attitudes,
knowing that within a few months the European position will be quite
united. I suppose that by Dec 15th the US global position will have been
settled among Gov and Industry stakeholders.

In this the @large and Civil society members are just talking, while
politics are getting together towards positions and industry and some Govs
are acting. Guess who will win?

I think that we are a single network and that therefore nobody should win:
we should adapt to each other's and ally. I am afraid the momentum by White
House/ICANN is such that we cannot do anything now, unless we put our
efforts together and come up with realistic propositions (like
http://dot-root.com ) and/or very convincing arguments, like Todds ones,
helping them understand where their strategy is partly wrong.

1. TCP/IP is the problem. Todd we agree. But I do not think that this has
been overlooked. I would be very interested in the working viable
alternatives that some may start experimenting now. 2005 Internet maybe
rather different from the 2002 one.

2. US Cyberspace security propositions claim to be local, regional and
national to address a threat which is correctly assessed as global.
- one must accept that the response to a global threat is a global protection
- one must accept that there is a problem in the "global" understanding.
"global" does not means "universal", the entire world with the USA as a
central stronghold, but means that every nation must be considered as a
place to protect and that true security will not come from a centrally
protected USA e-colonizing the world with its security logic, but from
mutually resilient interconnected and locally adapted security policies.

This means for example that we must build a coherent, equal and stable
numbering system where every country should receive a national IPv6 block
and accept to dedicate the same secondary block numbers to critical systems
in case of emergency situations. For justice and security. So the US, the
French or the Iraqi laws may decide to filter-out the traffic from another
country or to maintain calls from critical systems only depending on
situation, like in telephone.

As long as we leave the Internet to a few private interests, commercial
greed and changing civil servants we will lack the policy stability and
innovative spirit we need.
jfc