[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet pioneer criticizes ICANN over response to root server at tack

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 26 21:12:09 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <kent at songbird.com>
To: "NCC Discuss list (E-mail)" <discuss at icann-ncc.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Internet pioneer criticizes ICANN over
response to root server at tack

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:55:08PM -0400, Chris Chiu wrote:
> > Bob Alberti, the creator of the Internet Gopher protocol, has savaged
the
> > Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers' over a recent
attack
> > that crippled 9 of the 13 Internet domain name system root servers.

lets go even farther off the deep-end. The problem is TCP/IP and what it was
designed for, so maybe critical network services that the Internet is
dependant on need to be architected atop a new and more "Internet savvy"
base protocol.

But if you have a solution, any of you, i.e. if there are any doable
suggestions about how to morph or evolve TCP/IP so that theses attacks
cannot happen any longer, I would love to hear them. Otherwise, for want of
another suggestion I would restate that TCP/IP is the problem and the only
way to really deal with these types of behaivors and continue to use TCP/IP
as it is today, is to start enforcing real-world penalties for committing
these "attacks", including taking 14 year olds to big people prisons...

>  > In an
> > opinion piece published by CNet News, Alberti charged that "ICANN's
> > closed-door practices and unresponsiveness illustrate the seriousness of
> > Tuesday's attack. ... Network engineers dismiss suggestions that the
> > incident was a massive attack. ...

OK - Which Network Engineer's dismissed the occurances as attackes? and if
it was not an attack, then what was it?

>  > But ICANN is not prepared for a more
> > sophisticated attack, nor does it have adequate redundancy and
safeguards in
> > place. ...

Its not ICANN that is the problem here its their RIR and Registry
Requirements. The Registries could easily cut deals with the larger carriers
to internally mirror their servers, or actually operate the Registry's
servers themselves inside a number of providers infrastructures.