[ncdnhc-discuss] [Suggestion] "Proxy"

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Sun Oct 20 08:39:16 CEST 2002

Milton Mueller wrote:

> My criticism of proxy voting is that it tends to encourage
> private blocs to form and to undermine collaborative and
> consensual discussions that can take place at the f2f
> meeting. A well-organized faction can round up votes
> beforehand though private alliances and discussions
> and win all the votes without engaging other points of view.
>
> A proxy system is good because it is much more formal
> and structured in its representation. But NCDNHC votes on
> policy matters are only one small part of an ICANN policy
> decision. Votes on administrative matters might be handled
> differently.
>
> Our current system COMBINES face to face deliberation
> and discussion with online discussion and online ratification.
> I think that is better than a proxy system, which compresses
> all decisions into the framework of a meeting.
>
> It is true that sometime we need to act faster. But in
> those cases, it has always been my belief that we should
> simply trust our elected NC representatives and Adcom
> members to act on our behalf. Have we forgotten (again)
> why they are elected?

-
Agree with Milton
In the NC case, there are 3 NC rep, and the proxy system allows some rep
not to attend every meeting, while being able to express their view
through the proxy (assuming that these views are effectively transmitted
with the proxy).
In the present constituency case, there is a strong risk of block
voting, without having the views really passed on by the members.
A solution against the vote block would be to limit to one, the number
of proxy beared by any attendant.
Another way is just to rely on the existing mode: get any f2f result to
be approved by the whole constituency. This was set-up to comply with
the difficulty of most members to attend the ICANN meeting. Shanghai
meeting is just another meeting among all.

A more personnal point of view: because of the lack of real discussion
on the constituency list, I would certainly not be ready to give a last
moment proxy to any one for the planned topics, in order to give the
wrong feeling of support of the constituency to the views expressed by
those going to attend, without knowing those views.

Dany
-
Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE