[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolutions

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri Oct 11 13:54:38 CEST 2002

Dear Dany,
We are in a real world.

At 07:18 11/10/02, Dany Vandromme wrote:
>As a non-US citizen, I would not support such a California law centric
>definition of the Board members.
>Even if it happens to ICANN to be registered as a California company,
>this should be considered as an accident rather than a goal, and I would
>prefer the Board members "educated" in view of ICANN mission rather than
>binded by a local legislation.
>I would vote against, if I was going to attend the Shanghai meeting,
>which is not going to happen.

I would totally agree with you should ICANN was an NGO or changed its
registration as ITU-ICANN.as it was proposed by ITU-T.

Since ICANN is a US Agency for Internet Names and Numbers (cf. Joe Sims
clear wording on the GA), since the Shanghai decisions have been prepared
for a very long time by the DoC/NTIA and probably in higher spheres, since
ICANN has made clear the transition from current organization to the
Shanghai organization would be discussed after the meeting and before the
year's end, most probably as part of the Cyberspace Security WH plan, we
only have to accept that we are here as paying guests of the AmerICANN. We
then can only politely support the efforts of our hosts to be more informed
and efficient.

I do regret the present situation. We tried as much as we could to avoid it
and we will certainly continue to fight for a good cooperation in spite of
everything. But the options taken by the US stakeholders (USG, MicroSign or
ICANN Staff, legal Councils ...) are not only somewhat biased as you point
it out, but most probably technically inefficient. Centralization and
dominance will lead to a technical and social bottleneck and to a political
blockage. They will develop security, and increase insecurity though these
large and increased weaknesses. We had a good example. The US nets nearly
collapsed over a file this week: it was a routing table, not even the
master file. Only a bug, or may be a typo. Let imagine the chaos if such a
reconfiguration had been scheduled on Sept/11 2001 morning.

We have the interests of 550 millions Europeans and historical duties
towards billions of people. ICANN is a small detail into this. If it
improves all the better. What we want is they understand they do not own
the world, so we may work together, probably through ITU-I or any other
international concertance system where ICANN will be win/winly share
together with ".eu", ccTLDs, ITU for Enum, large nomenclatures, local,
regional, national specialized Internet reps. Because this is necessary to
a sustainable international development and to defend, protect and expand
peace. Everyone's peace.
jfc