[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Resolution

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 3 18:38:02 CEST 2002

At 11:57 AM 10/3/2002 -0400, Harold J. Feld wrote:
>>What is the record of their trying to?  In other words, where are these
>>folks?  This activity has been going on for a long time.  Why have they
>>not been heard from more generally?
>I would invite you to peruse the archives for folks who have bothered to
>explain why they
>
>drop off the list.  Or scan the record of unsibscribes.

Thanks Harold, but that is a sufficiently open-ended, fuzzy suggestion that
it moves the real burden to the wrong place.

YOU are claiming there is a need.  Hence it is YOUR burden to substantiate
the claim.  It is not my -- or anyone else's -- burden to wander through
extensive archives in the off-chance that we will happen to come across the
messages you claim are there.

As you know, I've been reading the messages of this constituency from its
inception.  I have no sense of any serious basis for claiming that there is
a silent mass of potential participants.  Quite the
opposite.  Participation in the EXISTING constituency has been minimal at
best.  That fact argues very much against the claim that there is need for
more constituencies of this type.

>In fact, most people who get sick of this just leave.  Few genuienly
>productive people who get tired of the process bother to explain.

And how will this get better by having more constituencies with more
process bother?

>>Self-organizing requires self-action.  It does not require a resolution
>>to give it permission.  Why have these folks made no visible effort so far?
>
>Those who would wish to self-organize must first understand that the
>efforts are welcomed and that they have a chance of success.  The one
>substantial effort to form a new consticuency after the establishment of
>the current set met with failure.

It was a noisy effort, but not a substantial one.  Not substantial in
numbers and not substantial in... substance.  And it was overwhelmed by its
really nasty management flaws.

>   Why or how is not relevant

If you are going to claim that it represents something significant, then
the why and how are important as a basis for realizing that it does NOT
represent something significant.

>I will add that one of the hardest issues of outreach is how to get people
>who are not here interested.  An invitation extended by the NC may well
>persuade like-minded noncommercials to self-organize, where the generic
>possibility under the ICANN bylaws does not.
>
>Let me reverse the question: what is the reason for opposing the motion?

Every time someone suggests taking an action and then is unable to justify
taking it, they try to turn the burden around onto others.  That is, they
take the position that a mere suggestion should be approved unless someone
provides convincing arguments against.

In fact, actions should be taken for affirmative reasons.  There needs to
be a serious justification for taking the action, if you want the action to
be meaningful.

You need a basis that goes beyond theory and ideals.  If you are going to
claim that some action is going to have some effect, then you need to
provide a basis for that claim.  It is YOUR burden to provide that
basis.  Actions should not be taken merely because someone suggests the
action.  There are an infinite number of actions one might take.  Choosing
ones that stand a good chance of being effective requires more than the
whim of suggestion.

>   By your own objections, the motion is merely superfluous in that it
> reiterates opportunities already available under the bylaws.  Since such
> reiteration does no harm, and may do good, why oppose it?

It is interesting that you view my asking questions about the basis for the
resolution to be opposition.

>>Who else has heard these complaints.  It seems unlikely that any issue,
>>that is substantial enough to warrant solution by forming a constituency,
>>is going to be expressed to only one person.
>
>Because, almost definitionally, those non-profits who do not think it
>worthwhile to participate here are unknown to you
>   Nor is there any reason why disatisfied parties should seek you out.
>By contrast, MAP works with numerous non-profits in the area of telecom
>policy, and I am a Names Council rep and known

ahh.  you claim special insight.  after all these years, with all the
publicity surrounding ICANN, you have received enough comments to indicate
the need for a constituency, although the rest of us have not seen those
comments.

ok.  then you can easily cite the organizations that have contacted you, so
that the rest of us have access to this insight.

By the way, whatever the limitations and statistical aspects of the current
constituency are, why do you think that more constituencies of this type
will be productive, when this existing constituency is not?  It cannot
handle its fees and it has been unmanaged for quite some time now, strongly
suggesting a lack of sufficient energy to get its work done.

d/